Our Lord has sparked in us a new vision for an outreach ministry bringing the gospel of Jesus Christ to college students in Columbia. The acquisition of 1400 Lady St. and the addition of David Henderson as out new Director of College Ministry, will provide us the needed resources to reach out to those in our city.
The College Ministry area for 1400 Lady St. will occupy the main floor of the building and house an Activity Room, Coffee House/Commons Area and Office Space. The Coffee House will allow the opportunity for college students to meet ministerial staff and provide a place for the various generations of church members to mix.
We now have an exciting opportunity to locate our Youth Department to a larger and more flexible space that can be adapted to their needs. The basement floor of the new building will provide a grand new place for our youth and will house their Sunday School classes, meeting space, break room/snack bar and storage. A newly created and inviting outside entrance will be located in the current alleyway between 1400 Lady and the Palmer Annex providing a very "special" location for our youth. Transfer of our youth will free space in Thornwell for classes for younger children and for adult classes for parents of small children who need to be close by.
Erskine Seminary is preparing a new generation of pastors for the future, and will now relocate faculty offices, staff space, equipment and the Erskine Seminary Library (10.000 volumes), along with a study and computer space for students to the 2nd floor of 1400 Lady. All Erskine Seminary Columbia classes will be held in the Palmer Building and the existing Erskine space at 1500 Lady Street would be vacated. This move will create space for potential expansion of First Presbyterian Counseling Center at their current location and restore space to our Music program in the Palmer Building.
With well over 500 women participating in Women of the Church activities, there has long been a need for inclusive and centrally located space to house the Freezer Ministry, the "Heart and Hand" pillow ministry, Board meetings, Bible studies, circle meetings, the bereavement bag ministry, etc. The WOC area will be located on the 2nd floor of 1400 Lady St.
Concentrating First Presbyterian offices, staff, and ministry in one building will allow for an atmosphere of working with different generations of members to work together in program design. For the first time in church history, we will be able to create a space for our staff which allows their space, and the design of it, to match the needs of their ministry. These offices will be located on the 3rd floor. Moving the ministry staff then creates space for the First Presbyterian Church Community Ministry House.
The Palmer Annex would serve as the home for an outreach center to expand gospel ministry to new church ministries not yet in existance and as a home base for non-First Presbyterian Church ministries that are endorsed/approved by our session. The building will provide and opportunity for a collective footprint of likeminded gospel ministries to gather alongside us in cooperative outreach to the city of Columbia.
One of the positive aspects of the new acquisition is the substantial additional parking which will become available to our congregation. The upgrades to the parking areas of the buildings that front on Lady Street will be completed in two phases and will create better flow and parking opportunities
In order to fit the building for the activities and ministries we desire, it will be necessary to make changes to the existing structure by creating greater access (a separate entrance for the Youth and additional exits from floors one to three) and renovating restrooms. We will also need to replace the current elevator, heating and air conditioning system and the roof.
This page last updated October 12, 2015.